Saturday, January 24, 2009

Art Auction at Obama Fundraiser












































Artist Wayne Nichols, myself, and Long Beach Mayor Bob Foster





I've posted pictures of an Obama fundraiser I hosted at my home last August. With the help of great friends, we were able to feature musicians, poets, and a silent art auction. Original artwork was contributed by artist friends and me. We converted my garage into a “gallery”. The conversion was lot of work since the garage though finished with tiled floor and painted walls, was still just a garage, grimy, tire-tracked, and junk-filled. We cleaned, painted, and draped to create a more presentable environment. We constantly improvised because we were limited in display easels and space. Two lessons I learned from the experience are: 1) one needs to be open and creative to solve space problems and 2) artists need to provide their work and information to the gallery on time if they want to have their work shown at its best.
The event was a success and I enjoyed putting together an exhibition immensely!

1 comment:

  1. Cathy - great job, looks like a success. Thx for lessons learned info. T

    ReplyDelete